[Noisebridge-discuss] International Space Station Flyby: Tuesday 5:29pm. Look up!

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Nov 10 23:18:02 UTC 2009

Excerpts from Mark Cohen's message of Tue Nov 10 11:03:19 -0800 2009:

> Lee,
>
> Do you know if anyone on the hill will have a radio? Might be a good time to
> get the arrow antenna out and talk to them.
>
> Having worked NA1SS a while ago, its a blast.
>
> Unfortunately, I have my radio here at work, but don't have the antenna for sat
> work here.

It's been several years since I worked NA1SS, but the actual astronauts
don't operate casually very often last I tried. They tend to setup
scheduled contacts through ARISS for schools and radio clubs.

I remember that when they weren't operating, they switched the radios
into a U/V mode repeater (UHF uplink, VHF uplink). I think there's also
a packet BBS on there.

You may have some luck working other amateurs using it as a
repeater. I've had several really cool contacts with this mode.

--j