[Noisebridge-discuss] visitor from HacDC - warm winter welcome?

jim jim at well.com
Thu Nov 12 17:13:03 UTC 2009

   baypiggies (the bay area python interest group) is
meeting in mountain view on thursday, november 19: the
speaker is andrew dalke, the topic is "based on the
talk I gave at EuroSciPy, so it's definitely about
Python, but it focuses more on what some of the basic
problems  are scientifically and software-wise, some
of the Python tools that are available and some of the
reasons people use something other than Python, and as
well some commentary about being a scientific software
developer."
http://www.baypiggies.net
(per the baypiggies web site: )

Andrew will describe how Python is used in molecular modeling,
bioinformatics, chemoinformatics and related fields. Wait! Don't leave!
You're not a researcher in these fields and he knows it. He's going to
give a taste of what the underlying problems are in some of those
subfields, an idea of what Python tools are available, and describe a
few of the reasons why sometimes Perl, FORTRAN, or another language is
the dominate language for that some that domain. There will be some
colorful pictures. He'll also include a bit of what it's like to be a
software developer in a scientific field.