[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: non-excellent couch behavior

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 00:45:36 UTC 2009

I just got to noisebridge and saw the couch and this message.

I am also appalled. Why yes, that is a quaint place to put a couch. Moving
it up there the first time was somewhat-lolz. moving it back was downright
selfish.
Aside from the reasons  listed by kelly, we often have enough people to fill
the couches in the couch circle, now we have one less. It seems that the
reason it was put up there was so someone can have a cute little personal
nap space; putting a single person's wishes/wants in front of -everyone
elses-; taking a communal thing and making it personal. The screwing it down
is like an extra little "Fuck You" to the multiple people who took it down
and the [everyone] that would sit on it otherwise.

I am joinging kelly in wondering if i want to be part of a space that seems
so bent on just creating pranks, drama, and jouvinile attitudes; in front
of, you know, making stuff.

-Meredith

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Kelly <hurtstotouchfire at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> idea.  We certainly feel that some of that space can be used for
> storage, but anything that would involve people climbing up there
> frequently will probably shift the ceiling and create light leaks.
> We've currently been working on caulking the cracks between the boards
> to eliminate the remaining light leaks, but if people are going up
> there all of the time, this could be a never-ending problem.
> Furthermore, we need to install a ventilation duct up there, and that
> will be even harder to keep light-tight.
>
> More furthermore, would any of those involved in the construction of
> the ceiling care to comment on the safety of this venture?  I'm not
> actually informed about that myself.  Several non-darkroom people
> expressed concern about this, and discomfort with the couch being up
> there.
>
> So, last night Andy, Jason, Meredith, Sai (?) and I took the couch
> back down and returned it to the couch circle.  Many people expressed
> gratitude at its return.  And thus do-ocracy prevailed again.
>
> Apparently sometime last night the couch was returned to the roof of
> the darkroom, and... screwed into place? (I'm in disbelief)
>
> If you feel that none of our concerns about having the couch up there
> are valid, then please discuss them with us before manifesting your
> will again, because it's clear that not everyone is in agreement.
> Furthermore, we could use some reasons why the couch needs to be up
> there at all.  And if in the end, a significant contingent of people
> still feels that your arguments for the couch's belonging on the
> darkroom are not sufficient then you need to take one for the team.
> Sometimes we have to not get our way so that people will feel safe and
> welcome in the space.
>
> At this point I'm having serious doubts about my ability to be
> involved in Noisebridge long term.  There's a lot that I enjoy about
> it, and I've actually been getting more involved lately, and trying to
> make a point of contributing to welcoming new people and peacemaking
> during various episodes of douchebaggery.  But it seems, often, like
> our one rule "Be excellent to each other" is too vague for some
> members (or space-goers) to understand.  I'm not threatening to quit,
> but this really upsets me.  This kind of behavior is turning
> Noisebridge into the kind of place that lots of really productive,
> contributing members feel the need to distance themselves from,
> because a few people seem to think that the rules apply to them
> differently.
>
> To be fair, we all know that some of our membership doesn't always see
> the opportunity to be excellent on the first try.  Or, apparently, the
> second.  I encourage whoever was involved to take the opportunity now,
> and I think that they also owe the space reparation for their
> persistently thoughtless behavior.  For instance, you could take the
> couch back down and bring this up for discussion in a meeting.

doing stuff and making things
---
"A traveler. I love his title. A traveler is to be reverenced as such. His
profession is the best symbol of our life. Going from - toward; it is the
history of every one of us. It is a great art to saunter." -Henry David
Thoreau