[Noisebridge-discuss] How big is the internet? eom

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 04:12:25 UTC 2009

  None too large. It can only talk about ~4 billion addresses
  before you get into NAT and networks that are (by definition)
  off the Internet. While IPv6 allows us 65K times that, it's
  still just not that many addresses. In comparison, the number
  of molecules in a liter of water is well over 2^84.

  While this might seem impractical, consider what NATing costs
  us already. We can't run web services from our phones or direct
  our friends to check out the site we're running on our VCR.
  When we start talking about having multiple computers in our
  cars and clothes, proposals like cryptographic, 256 bit
  addresses are more appealing:

    http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/uip:ford03-tr.pdf

  The internet is simply too small for all of us to fit.

--
Jason Dusek