[Noisebridge-discuss] On Removal of a car boot

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Sun Nov 22 00:52:44 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 4:40 PM,  <nils at shkoo.com> wrote:
> In some cases, the best bet might be to remove the whole car including the
> boot:

Here's the summary version:
http://www.offroaders.com/news/Dolly-Man-Audi-Booted-APS.htm

Guy gets booted, tells the rentacops he's moving his car to his garage
and to pick up their boot when they want to. They threaten to sue for
theft, but cops say since he told 'em where it is and invited them to
take it back, they can fuck off.

The full thread is worth the read. It's epic win.

On topic: Since they probably record serial numbers vs plates, you
want to also not damage the boot. Otherwise they'll sue you for
destruction of property or some such bullshit. It's a weird area of
law, where you can fuck someone over without any police power, but
they're the ones who can't do anything about it or else they face
fines / arrest.

I wonder what'd happen if you booted the booters?

Also, I wonder if they're vulnerable to standard lockpicking
techniques. I've never actually seen the lock on one of 'em up close.

- Sai