[Noisebridge-discuss] MonkeyBrains donates a new uplink to Noisebridge

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed Nov 25 02:54:26 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 06:26:47PM -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> Wow, neat!  That sounds like a generous offer.  What kind of technology
> would the uplink use?  Is it also a wireless link with some kind of
> equipment on the roof?

The link is already in place at 2169!  I covered the install cost ($300
based on the equipment needed at our site) out of my own pocket and
would appreciate donations to help cover the cost.

We're not yet trying to route our traffic over it until we have all the
kinks ironed out -- there's a test system "mule" hooked up to it.  Ping
me if you'd like an account, follow the procedure documented at
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Pony#Accounts

The link is in the 5GHz ISM band using 802.11 modulation (I believe it's
11n / MIMO but I may be mistaken).  There's a PoE injector inside 2169
(on the wall of the classroom), a cat5 run up to the roof, and the radio
/ antenna package is mounted on a mast on our newly installed antenna
mount.

Thanks a ton to Matt Peterson for instigating the antenna project and
doing a ton of work on it, it made the Monkeybrains install a piece of
cake.

-andy