[Noisebridge-discuss] MonkeyBrains donates a new uplink to Noisebridge

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Thu Nov 26 07:53:04 UTC 2009

I am drinking barley tea.

Ani Niow wrote, On 20091125 142421:
> Some members here have been pulling strings and asking favours so that
> we can get a fibre connection of our own from the city, *legitimately*.
> There were even antennae on the roof and other high speed equipment
> installed for this very purpose. When Monkeybrains announced their
> connection plans, the pants of several other members got so wet that the
> only way to dry them out was to basically steamroll the efforts of other
> members that has been putting forth the effort to get us a legitimate
> link from the city itself, ignoring their concerns about breaches of
> contract, possible legal action and the jeopardisation of future fibre
> efforts. The members behind the legit effort were highly surprised and
> upset when the announcement was made that we *are* getting a connection
> from Monkeybrains even after concerns were noted about why this is a Bad
> Idea and were not communicated with *at all*. Not to mention that none
> of them were communicated that the equipment that was installed in order
> to get a legit link was going to be used in the Monkeybrains install.

I'm sorry but much of this is incorrect.

The hardware you speak of is two 2x4s, some steel railing, and some
rubber cement, at the most costing $15. This was installed on the side
of the elevator room is support multiple masts. At the moment this is
the only "hardware" getting shared. There is still a vacant mast that's
there and ready for the other fiber project. There's space on the
railing for other people to put up other equipment, such as stuff for
ham radio goodness, a weather tower of some sort, and possibly pirate flags.

No electronic/computer hardware was re-purposed for the Monkeybrains
link. I'm fairly certain everything dealing with the link was provided
by Monkeybrains (wouldn't be surprised if the gear even has some of
their cute stickers on it). All the real hardware that's been promised
for the original fiber link project is still in the possession of the
person who promised it and not at Noisebridge.

Unless the "high speed equipment" you talk about was purchased from the
lumber yard at Discount Builder, I feel that your source is mistaken as
far as the Monkeybrain effort high jacking hardware goes.

Andy poked the rest of the ops group about the link, as he found it to
be a good deal and a drastic improvement for the space. There was some
static, Andy respectfully acknowledged all that and continued to get the
link with money out of his own pocket. No Noisebridge funds were tapped
for this.

Thus far the only resources getting eaten up is the machine named Mule
that's been shut off every since before we moved from 83c, and an
ethernet cord.

Ani, if you have concerns with Monkeybrains and how they operate, I
would recommend being constructive by aiding in the original fiber link
plan. I for one look forward to having a decent net connection in the
space administered by a member who's extremely competent in routing the
tubes with line of sight.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net