[Noisebridge-discuss] signatures (was: At Noisebridge now? Or headed there? Please ping me.)

Michael Prados mprados at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 22:48:57 UTC 2009

I've been using the below "sent from my computing machine"  for just
under a year now.  I had in mind sort of a gentle education campaign
that from the standpoint of sending email, there isn't that much
difference between an iPhone, a desktop running your favorite O.S., a
net book, or what-have-you.  My apologies to anyone sending email via
teletype or dumb terminal; you could reasonably argue that the device
you are sitting in front of is not a computing machine per se,
although you are almost certainly connected to one at a distance.

For the rest of the world, I should hope that people would either
write some approximation of the message they would like to write, or
would wait til they are in front of a device that better suits their
communication style.  Furthermore, I should hope that all of us have
some reasonable expectation that email, like any other media, has its
strengths and flaws, and that to truly appreciate the heart/mind/soul
of the sender will require some serious deconvolution and probably
additional information from other media- say, for example, knowing a
person in real life and getting to know their world view.

Personally, though, I see a possibility to take these sentiments too
far as well- I'm not terribly eager to castigate the grand parent who
has finally embraced smart phone technology to keep in touch with
his/her progeny for not yet having reached the same level of
frustration with the evolving etiquette of new media as I have.

-mike