[Noisebridge-discuss] Cleaning up - a solution

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Fri Oct 16 16:21:03 UTC 2009

This message was held on at least one mailing list (probably build), so I'll
resend it to the group to make certain it was received. Please forgive the
double posting:

I see two pieces that may fit well together:

1) The need for a maid service,
2) potential members who wish to contribute, but are financially not able

These would fit well together *if* we can outline the exact maid duties
needed on a nightly basis, and a measure of how those maid duties will be
verified as successfully completed.

Unlike the normal excellence we require and should continually encourage.
The people doing the maid service is doing a real job --- the pay is not
money, but membership dues.  And, as a reward for their work, they get
*real* membership benefits, like, for example a shelf -- or whatever
benefits members get that guests don't.

Now, since this is s job, it can - and should be - revoked if performance
isn't up to snuff. This is another reason for the two clearly defined and
objective points above (what does the job entail and how are the points
measured).

For example, let's say Glen agrees to do maid service every Monday night o
in exchange for real membership. Every Monday, after hardware hacking, he
does the dishes, throws away all food, takes out the trash, cleaned the
hardware table, and sweeps and mops the floor -- a fixed set of duties, no
more, no less.

If food is found on Friday morning, Glen isn't responsible --  the Thursday
night guy/gal is. However, if on Tuesday morning, old food is found, the
floors are dirty, etc., Glen was clearly remiss in his duties and a note to
the list like "Monday night maid service seemed lacking last night" could be
posted. If this were a constant  pattern, maybe Glen could find another way
of paying for membership (again the concept of a real job or real exchange
of value is necessary).

This way, this can scale out past the few very proactive souls that have
been doing clean up because they have a strong vision for the place, but
they are getting weary of doing extra work that is unappreciative, there is
no value for, and for which there seems to be no end in sight.

I, Glen Jarvis, would be interested in such an arrangement. But, only for
Monday nights. And, I imagine you need maid service several times per week.

Some of the tasks have already been outlined in the Wiki... So, I don't
think this will be too hard to implement if there is interest...  Also,
note, I still believe someone like Jim or Rubin should still br responsible
for inspection and the occassional feedback that we would give our normal
maid service.

There may be other guests who would like to convert to membership, but need
other ways to pay their dues.