[Noisebridge-discuss] Drobo & other (psuedo-)RAID units

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Sun Oct 18 09:19:40 UTC 2009

After a recent issue with one of my hard drives[0] (which will cost me
money but hopefully be recoverable via a controller board swap) and
being properly scolded by RyanC for neglecting to do so earlier, I've
gotten a bit more, um, motivation to finally store my shit in
something that's properly redundantified.

So... do any of you have experience with Drobo[1], or with comparable
products? (I particularly find attractive its ability to take a
variable number of variable sized drives, as that will allow me to
upgrade naturally over time.)

I've not used something like it before, and I'm a bit leery of my data
being locked in to a specific vendor. I'd appreciate knowing how it's
worked out for you - either w/ Drobo specifically or other solutions
(including DIY rigs).

And: do you happen to have one to sell? (If not, there's always
newegg, but I'd rather give my money to people I know.)

Thanks,
- Sai

[0] http://saizai.livejournal.com/947783.html
[1] http://www.drobo.com/products/drobo.php