[Noisebridge-discuss] (no subject)

Bill Pollock bill at nostarch.com
Sun Oct 18 17:38:18 UTC 2009

Hi enki,

One thing that I liked about the camp Engels was that they didn't come off as policing. They were there to help and to keep an eye on things. And when everyone was trashed at least one of them was sober. And when a problem arose they could be counted on to step in.

Certainly, these were time-limited, temporary roles, and the parallel isn't a direct one. If NB were to consider such a thing I imagine the roles might last only a few hours as in "I'll be at space from 4 to 7 today and I'll wear the angel badge." in other words, the role would rotate and could and should be adopted by every member as part of one's contribution to the space. Maybe it might be looked upon as a kind of designated driver.

Believe me, as anyone who knows me well will attest, I am no fan of authority. However, I'm concerned that the problems that I'm reading about could spiral out of hand and threaten the success of Noisebridge.

When the space was small everyone saw everything. That's not the case now though and it seems to me that something like a rotating, super Noisebridge janitor might help.

Bill

hey bill,

just pointin' out that angels at ccc events are ppl who build and run
stuff during a very time limited event and do their "clearly defined"
work in assigned shifts. i don't think such a system would work at nb.
a hackerspace just isn't a timelimited event with clearly defined
must-dos (like checking badges, selling tickets, setting up talks and
introducing speakers, making video recordings, ...) - so what good
would an angel be? just someone with a badge to police others?

enki

Sent from my mobile.