[Noisebridge-discuss] Any Interest in a Composting Class?

Paul Suliin psuliin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 21:57:13 UTC 2009

Hi, all!  I've been looking for some way to make a unique volunteer
contribution to Noisebridge, and I may have thought of it: Composting
classes.

I'm a Master Composter, trained and certified through Alameda County's
Stopwaste Project.  I do several types of composting (worm bin, hot
bin, tumbler and trench composting) in my own home, and I'm certified
to train others as well.

There are many different ways to compost.  Some are suitable for
people with huge...tracts of land, while others work well even in the
smallest apartment.  Composting reduces your waste stream, which is
good for the environment.  It also lets you create something useful to
yourself and others out of odds and ends of stuff that you'd just
throw away otherwise - perfect for the Noisebridge ethos.

If you have a yard, then you owe it to yourself to compost, and stop
mining your soil for nutrients that you then ship off in your green
waste bin.  But even if you don't grow anything, you can turn your
garbage into black gold that your friends and neighbors will eagerly
take off your hands.  For me, at least, composting is just plain fun -
it's like alchemy with dirt.

Would there be any interest in one or more composting classes?  I can
teach hot-bin composting (good for yards), worm composting (good for
indoors), or a variety of other classes about composting, bay-friendly
gardening, urban farming, and similar topics.  Should I post this
suggestion on the wiki, perhaps?

Best,

Paul