[Noisebridge-discuss] I am really disappointed with certain members of noisebridge

Ian ian at slumbrparty.com
Fri Oct 30 20:38:03 UTC 2009

last night, there was an attempted DDOS on the noisebridge forum from
75.101.62.89 and 75.101.62.88. yes. those are both noisebridge IPs.
they submitted around 35,000 votes to the forum and could have taken
the entire uservoice site down.

i have no problem with people voicing their concerns on the mailing
list, but to do something destructive and illegal using noisebridge
equipment against a company that one of its members works for simply
because you didnt agree with its usage is beyond pathetic. rubin, for
future reference, even though you may not mean anything destructive or
personal with your "abrasive" (as you put it in your personal apology
to me) comments on the list, other, weaker people on the list who are
followers will take them in a different way.

i tried to not censor anyone on the feedback forum and accommodate
everyone and tried to play the role of strictly the forum admin. one
of our staff deleted the suggestion about trying to get root on our
site because, well, they simply viewed it as a threat against
uservoice. i assured them finding security flaws was legitimate and
will even benefit us. then they pointed to the suggestions about
disparaging uservoice and my comment facilitating that. then again i
reassured them i was only being the site administrator and that we
shouldnt censor people who use our product even if their suggestions
could hurt our business. the bottom line is i put my neck out to try
to provide noisebridge with something that i thought would be useful
and this is the thanks i get.

aside from my current situation with the company, uservoice is talking
about taking legal action against noisebridge for the DDOS attack. i
have begged them to allow me to solve this without legal intervention.
i ask that the people who were responsible name themselves and
separate them from the rest of noisebridge. if you identify yourself,
explain and apologize for your actions, i think i can convince the
rest of uservoice to move past this.

ian