[Noisebridge-discuss] Access control and the DJ booth

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Oct 1 02:48:36 UTC 2009

Sai Emrys wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
>> Please don't force other people to follow your ideas,
>
> Where did you read me as saying I thought it'd be a good idea to force
> people to do anything?
>
> All I've said is that I think people ought to - out of simple
> politeness if not excellence - respect each others' boundaries. That's
> rather different.

I'm making a suggestion and confirming with an example.

>> If 5MoF is considered regular, I'm unfamiliar with your definition of
>> regular. Doesn't it only happen once a month?
>
> Is our expensive and/or fragile and/or dangerous stuff not in the
> space for that once a month?

Sure and we're even more vigilant during those times.

>> Why are we trying to solve the asshole problem before the asshole or
>> thief has done a thing? How can we make good decisions about an
>> apparition that is so nebulous?
>
> I take it you believe only in reacting to incidents, not in reasonable
> prevention?

I believe in reasonable prevention to a point. We as a general theme try
not to solve problems before they really actually are a problem. This is
one of the core tennants of the Hacker Spaces Pattern document. Have you
read it? If not, I really suggest it! It's not perfect but it addresses
this very specific issue.

Best,
Jake