[Noisebridge-discuss] Consensus and the "old ways".

Al Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Fri Oct 2 16:49:22 UTC 2009

On Oct 2, 2009, at 9:42 AM, jim wrote:

>   "George W. Bush" seems to answer the question.

And I can offer hundreds of years of democratic processes from small
groups to towns to counties, etc. as a counter-example of where it
works.

Please don't pull the "Nazi" card and end discussion by invoking a
scary mistake.

We aren't a democracy at a national level anyway so it is apples and
oranges.

>   seems best to avoid any decision-making on the part
> of the entire group as much as possible. let sub-groups
> do their things.

  Which happens in consensus but not in voting how?

>   aestetics' (ignored) missive addresses this pretty
> well: the prospect of discussion discourages topics
> not worth of facing the pain of the discussion, and
> therefore only really important topics arise (promoting
> anarchy, i.e. genuine freedom).

You generally still have to discuss before a vote. It isn't like it
bypasses it. Groups tend to vote "no" on new things if it hasn't been
discussed and sold beforehand.

  I didn't ignore his missive. I just know he has a *huge* bias
towards a certain end of anarchist thinking and decision making. This
is the same person who said that any locks anywhere in Noisebridge
(including personal lockers) were wrong when it was first brought up
in IRC.

>   these questions seem practical:
>      * What items have come up for consensus (not discussion)?
>      * When has a block ever been used?
>      * How often do people "threaten" to block? (Compare this to how
>        many people say they're going to do a project and don't)

Well, I know the third, which is that people, verbally in
conversation, threaten to block x or y all the time, which keeps
people from ever taking certain ideas further. I see it in IRC
constantly.

  Al