[Noisebridge-discuss] Consensus and the "old ways".

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Fri Oct 2 16:52:33 UTC 2009

> Having never
> spent a lot of time in a large, consensus based organization, I didn't
> know it would translate into four+ hour long meetings when important
> decisions need to get made and deadlock on decisions due to arguing
> and blocking.

As an outsider to Noisebridge (I've only shown up to the old and new
space together about 4-5 times -- but I've recently joined the mailing
list), I can share some of my experiences with consensus in other
organizations.

I've been involved in an organization that ran its affairs with
consensus for over 20 years (I think over 25, but I can't say that
with authority). They were larger in numbers than this (sometimes up
to 200+ members at a time - but always in flux), but we were only
physically together about 10 consecutive days during the year...
(unlike noisebridge).

My personal experience (and I cannot reproduce this nor qualify this
in any way), is that what noisebridge is feeling is pretty typical for
consensus when the group reaches above a certain threshold.  We called
our meetings 'circle'... (they still do, I don't live close to them
anymore).

When things get this large, most people have learned "If it's not an
issue that I personally care about, I don't need to attend circle. I
can just trust the process." And, that generally cuts down on the
'drama' -- but, by far, it doesn't eliminate it. One or two souls have
complete autonomy to wreak havoc on the entire group (be design). And,
many people speak, repeating the same thing that has been said, many
times over.

Additionally, I remember when one of our members was accused of
grossly inappropriate sexual behavior to another member (I think
molestation, or rape, or something similar). The task in question was
to potentially remove this accused member.

Removing a member that is already present, for us, did not work well
with consensus... Feelings ran high for a good deal of people. This
was not handled in four hours, nor in four days. This took a very long
time -- but, eventually consensus was gained and the member was asked
not to come back for four years.

If I've learned nothing else in the past ten years, I've learned this:

Groups that want this consensus process, generally, choose the pain of
the process (and the chaos/havoc) over the potential that a single
individual can be steamrolled into something they aren't comfortable
with. And, I've come to appreciate consensus for that reason.

Maybe sharing this experience wasn't helpful. Hopefully it was in some
small way. If nothing else, know that the pain you are feeling is not
unusual for this process. Hopefully, that's at least a little
comforting.

I am an outsider. And, I gladly accept the group for what it is --
especially if they are so willing to share their space, creativity,
and equipment with me...

Warmest Regards and the best of luck,

Glen Jarvis