[Noisebridge-discuss] Skateboarding solidarity and police abuse

David Rorex drorex at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 17:31:12 UTC 2009

> San Francisco City and County law
> “a) Prohibits skateboarding on any city street at any time, on any sidewalk
> in any business district at any time, and on any non-business district
> sidewalk commencing 30 minutes after sunset and ending 30 minutes before
> sunrise (Traffic Code, Section 100)”

Lets break this down:

I. Skateboarding is NOT allowed on city streets at any time

II. Skateboarding is NOT allowed on any sidewalk in business districts at
any time

III. Skateboarding IS allowed on non-business district sidewalks, during
daytime only

Everyone is thinking the time clause on part III applies to I and II, but I
think that's an incorrect reading. So if they were on the street at all, or
on the sidewalk in a buisness district, they were breaking the law (however
dumb the law may be).

In my opinion, both the kids and the cop acted like dicks, however I feel
cops should be held to higher standards than random hoodlum kids. I think
the kid should have been arrested, he's letting them off with a warning and
the kid disrespects him, but the cop went too far in threatening physical
violence, twisting his arm and kicking him into the car.