[Noisebridge-discuss] Let's celebrate! (was: Consensus and the "old ways")

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Fri Oct 2 20:51:33 UTC 2009

* Al Billings <albill at openbuddha.com> [091002 11:34]:
> I would suggest that anyone who hasn't ALREADY replied on this
> topic and has an opinion should do so just for diversity and
> variety's sake.

One thing that's really great about Noisebridge is that we have an
actual physical space that allows people to meet in real life and
have conversations. I'm sure everyone here realizes that electronic
communication mediums do have their limitations.

I feel there's a sense of resignation that things are decided only in
the context of devices such as the Tues meeting, IRC, or this mailing
list. I think there's a lot more power in sitting down with people
face to face, sharing a meal together etc and talking about stuff.

Not like this isn't happening already -- and maybe I'm only stating
the obvious -- but why not have more on-on-one conversations with
other people (or other smaller-sized groupings of peoples) involved
in the space. Find folks who share your view, and folks who have
differing views. Keeping in mind that compromise will be inevitable,
bring to the conversation a willingness to listen and a mindfulness
that no-one is omniscient & possessing the definitive say on what the
nature of Noisebridge reality is or should be.

Building up dialog and a shared understanding of common and differing
viewpoints in this way might help reduce the churn time at meetings,
or obviate the need to bring certain issues to the meeting at all.

What doesn't seem to work so well IMO is when people get really
impatient, scoff at opposing viewpoints, and carry an attitude that
they posses a viewpoint that needs to be hammered or skewered into the
other. This is not aimed at any particular individual. No category is
immune from this tendency -- I feel I've seen it in new & old members
alike. This is not to say that's all I've seen...obviously there are
(way more-so) a lot of really great interactions going on all the
time. I'm just saying that where the discourse tends towards the
scoffing/impatient/non-listening end of the spectrum, the outcome ends
up being furrowed brows + emotional energy & time wasted that could be
instead put towards hacking together some really cool stuff.

Also, check it out: Noisebridge has had a physical space for one year
now -- pretty cool! Thank-you everyone who made it happen & continues
to make it happen. Imperfect though we may be, we've cobbled together
something much better than the back room at Muddy's one night a week
or a cramped 83c. Let's celebrate a sense of accomplishment tonight!

~ John

PS: a recent thread on Hacker News that seems apropos:
    http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=853133

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact