[Noisebridge-discuss] getting that goddamned mill to work

Michael Wright mike at smallip.com
Mon Oct 5 18:26:47 UTC 2009

Yep, it cycle one way when going forward, then the other when going
backward.  It also maintains it's pin state indefinitely when not
moving.  It turned out that all the original (down to 0.001") jog
sizes were a factor of four, so it would do a full encoder cycle,
ending with the original state.

Halscope and halmeter are somewhat clunky, but really useful for
seeing what's going on.

Though we don't actually need the timing to be perfect (because we're
doing quadrature rather than pulses) EMC2 will still throw an annoying
error any time the latency crosses the set threshold (max of about
double the default),   It looks to me like we've got a path to success
with EMC2 so if the box at Weird Stuff (1.8 ghz celeron) passes the
latency test I'll just give them $80 for it so we can move on to the
next problem (how to make parts via gcode).

I am planning to be up there tonight and am hopeful we can actually
drive the mill from EMC2.

mike