[Noisebridge-discuss] getting that goddamned mill to work

Michael Wright mike at smallip.com
Mon Oct 5 19:52:44 UTC 2009

EMC2 was just really really nice running on the 2.8GHZ box I borrowed
from work, whereas it was it was a bit weird and slow on the compaq.
I noticed the same running in VMWare on my macbook and netbook.  It
runs with less that 1 ghz cpu, but it's bumpy and annoying.  If it
runs great on a $80 celeron then that just leaves hacking together a
functional HAL file.  If we get bored we can always hack it to be
controlled with a gamepad.

Basically I'm betting that it will be $80 more fun to have a crisp UI
for hacking on the mill.  From what I can tell, getting the computer
able to move the mill is only the first step in being able to make
parts, with the other steps being larger.

mike