[Noisebridge-discuss] Consensus and the "old ways".

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 18:44:17 UTC 2009

Excellent point!  It would be a real shame if we were to just suddenly
change all our processes to address the problems that people are thinking of
only to discover that the root cause of the problems was not what we
changed.

For example, I'm inclined to believe that due to the nature of our group,
there will be long-winded discussions on things regardless of which
governance system we use, from total anarchy to total dictatorship.  We like
to think about and therefore discuss things to death, I would posit.

There will always be people jumping in and doing stuff that the rest of the
group may or may not agree with.  It's my perspective that the "do-ocracy"
isn't so much an empowerment, but more of an acceptance of what will be and
a means to reduce the bickering over what was done.  Some of us are not
exactly the sort of people to go through a bureaucratic process in order to
get things approved.

After all the opposite of a do-ocracy is bureaucracy.  I am only trying to
imagine what the first point and the second point would result in if allowed
to collide.  Thinking and talking things to death and attempting to regulate
operations I believe would inevitably result in of byzantine rules system
that no one could possibly follow and actually get something done.

I know, I've tried.

Christie
---
Pigs can fly given sufficient thrust.