[Noisebridge-discuss] We got that goddamned mill to work

Jesse Welz welzart at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 00:10:43 UTC 2009

It was really cool to see the mill draw little pictures and actually see it operate after just sitting there for so long.

I think it would be really good if we could put some kind of workshop together for - Operating the Mill - or just - Machine Shop Skills - or something. I know there is some interest in people wanting to use this equipment to do projects and just learn machining in general. I know that we have a doacracy at niosebridge but with stuff like 3 axis mills there can be trouble, like an expensive Z crash (putting the wrong g code in and accidentally telling the mill to drive the head into the table) and just general safety issues as these machines can be dangerous to their users. At one point I asked someone about the lathe and the person I asked said another person (don't recall their name) said if you don't know what you're doing, don't fuck with it. I agree with this but also know people still want to use this stuff and so a little training might be in order. I know Micheal and Jonathon have gotten to know the mill pretty well through this "getting the
 goddamned mill to work" process and would hopefully  like to participate in such a workshop. I used to be a machinist some time ago and although my knowledge and skills may be a bit rusty now I think I could still offer some input into a workshop like this and would just like to attend. I know there is a Mat Fab class that I have been told is going to start happening again, maybe now the mill and lathe can be added to this?

I am very excited about seeing the mill do stuff because the very first time I came into noisebridge Jonathon Moore gave me a tour and I noticed the little machine tools first off and thought it was such a shame things weren't really being done with them.

Yay, machining is cool.

Jesse