[Noisebridge-discuss] Arg, why does my text not wrap in these posts??

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed Oct 7 00:51:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 05:19:28PM -0700, Jesse Welz wrote:
> I am sending in plain text but I still get paragraphs that extend way
> past the page. I am using yahoo mail, does this have anything to do
> with it? How do you all get nice formatted emails on the list?

FWIW, your mail is sent as follows:

with each paragraph sent as a single long line of text terminated by a
CR.  My mailer presents it as an overly long line but simply wraps it
with a visual indication of overlength; when I reply to you I reformat
the quoted text ("gqj" in vim).  Pipermail, our mailing list archive
software, does a bit worse.  The fault lies mostly in Y!'s mail
software; Pipermail is just doing what the headers say to do ("It's
plain ascii text and I put in the carriage returns for you, guv.")

You might figure out how to send "format=flowed" or else convince Y!Mail
to auto-wrap your messages at 72 columns; I don't have any specific
knowledge of Y!Mail but I bet there's a preferences pane.  (You may need
to switch to the "fancy new mail UI" or something like that, the name
"YahooMailClassic" makes me think you may be using a legacy UI.)

FWIW, yours is not the worst-formatted mail to noisebridge-discuss; I
think Mitch holds that crown. :)

-andy