[Noisebridge-discuss] deep crack announcement .. tax issue/

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Thu Oct 8 03:48:30 UTC 2009

Christie Dudley wrote:
> I have to agree that the museum in SJ would get more use out of this.

More use? I doubt they would plug it in.

> Although a small amount of time with the machine sounds groovy, we don't
> have infinite space, time or energy to move it in and out, etc.

The interested parties will provide the necessary time and energy, both
human and electrical.

Crutcher Dunnavant wrote:
>     More to the point ... the idea is to place 6 racks worth of computer
>     that we can't afford to run, that we can't repair, and that we must
>     maintain access control too, in Noisebridge?

Six short cabinets, which people wanting to crack DES can afford to run.
Access control is the only thing I see here which might be a real issue,
but I doubt it is. Someone should definitely look into that one, though.

>     It sounds like we're begging for someone to make a giant robot out
>     of it.

That isn't how an "important piece of history" sounds to me, although I
must admit a DES-crushing giant robot does sound pretty awesome.

Unless a lawyer advises us that mere proximity to deep crack could
actually be hazardous to the legal status foreign nationals, I say
LETS GET CRACKING!

~leif