[Noisebridge-discuss] Deep Crack

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 06:02:55 UTC 2009

When I was a young engineer studying signal theory and data communications,
I was interested in cryptography.  Unfortunately, back when I was young,
there was no information available on the internet, because the internet was
still closed.  I wrote papers on it where I collected knowledge out of books
vastly out of date.  Out in Kansas, you just didn't have access to the
knowledge that you get on the coast, and back in the day, such knowledge was
scarce and precious.  I took a class on algebraic coding theory, but all
they covered was error control.  After I left the university (in 1991, if
you must know), what little information resources I had on cryptography were
lost.  I moved on to other things.

Now I see this opportunity before me and I'm wondering quite a lot to
myself.  What does this important artifact in the annals of cryptography
mean to me?  What knowledge can I (and others) glean from having it in the
space?  I am curious as to the design of the chip to make it more efficient
for cracking DES.  But touching chips with my hands doesn't help with that.
Technique would be interesting to know, but since this uses brute force
methods, it doesn't seem to be something that outstanding.  (Although

I'm right up there with everyone who's saying that it is a great honor
bestowed upon us that John Gilmore is willing to lend us this machine.  I
think it isn't that big a deal, if people are stepping up with donations to
support the cost, to figure out what that cost would be.  We are good at
that sort of thing.  I think it'd be fabulous to get more people excited and
raise expectations about cryptography (although I believe I'm more an "end
of an era" sort of person).

But I have to ask why?  Can someone who supports this give a clear
explanation to those of us not quite as enthralled with it what we would
actually do with it besides bring it to the space, talk about it a lot, turn
it on and watch it hum as it pounds away at some DES key someone found
lingering about.

Christie

---
Pigs can fly given sufficient thrust.