[Noisebridge-discuss] Deep Crack

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Oct 8 10:55:36 UTC 2009

Sai Emrys wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
>> I think the answer has historically been "too much" because it is a
>> variable, often impossible to value amount of stuff. Additionally, it's
>> a huge hassle and even if it is covered, it pretty much just helps once
>> and we'll pay for it in future premiums. :-/
>
> I think that unless you're intending to cover mass damage (e.g. fire,
> armed robbery, etc - pretty unlikely stuff), you might be able to get
> away with just insuring it at the value you want to be able to cover.
> Say $10k worth of coverage ought to cover anything.
>
> IIRC from getting homeowner's insurance - and I realize that's
> different - they didn't need me to specify any particular objects,
> just the price point. And the cost was very reasonable, like $150/yr
> ish.
>
> I think it's worth at least asking w/ NB's insurance broker to see
> whether the situation may have changed. You may well be right that the
> answer is "too much", but AIUI that's currently a guess on your part.
> Does it hurt to find out?
>
> (Of course that doesn't mitigate the hassle & future premiums, which
> are valid points.)

This is my obligatory encouragement email. Please do feel free to ask
our insurance agent these questions and do also feel free to report back
to the group with a useful cost benefit analysis. I am sure we will
change our policies if a reasonable thing is presented and people care
enough to support such a change.

Frankly, I personally have no time for such things at this juncture. I'm
too busy trying to understand and hack _computer_ systems to deal with
changing our insurance paradigm. :-)

If that floats your boat, by all means, go for it. Seriously.

Best,
Jake