[Noisebridge-discuss] knot tying? braiding? weaving?

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Thu Oct 8 16:24:35 UTC 2009

I spent some time talking about knot theory with a mathematician friend
("talking" == "me asking naive questions and him being patient about it")
and I was surprised by how little actual crossover there was between "knot
theory" and actually tying knots.
>From a knot theory perspective, for example, a strangle knot and a surgeon's
knot are the same knot (I can demonstrate this in person, the next time
someone sees me), but in practice they are wildly different knots with
different purposes.

Shibari is something that comes up every time I start talking about having a
knot class, so I just brought it up; it would certainly only be fun to
include it if everybody was comfortable, so let's just concentrate on useful
knots for the time being.

I was thinking of just doing two each of the basic useful types:  A couple
of bends, a couple of hitches, a couple of binding knots, and then some
other useful or interesting misfits, and something fun like a monkey's fist?

I'll be around the space tomorrow evening, as well as Sunday afternoon, if
anybody wants to talk about putting this on; Sunday afternoon might be a
good time to have a knot workshop?  Not this Sunday, I mean, but maybe in a
couple of weeks -- say the 18th or the 25th?  4:00pm?

--S

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:09 AM, dpc <weasel at meer.net> wrote:

> Kelly <hurtstotouchfire at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I might attend this.  Considerations which would heighten my interest
> > in such a workshop:
> > -Math.  I am really fucking keen on knot theory.  Unfortunately, this
> > doesn't necessarily relate to the workshop as it's currently shaping
> > up.  But we could like... work it in somehow?  Math is really great.
> > Maybe we could split this into a series.
>
> this would be cool, but my topology is basically non-existant. (i was a
> scout however so can do all the basics :-)
>
> \p
> ---
> God is a hacker, not an engineer. - Francis Crick

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700