[Noisebridge-discuss] Consensus and the "old ways".

jim jim at well.com
Fri Oct 9 19:21:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 19:03 -0700, Crutcher Dunnavant wrote:
> Just to drop this in, 'cause it seems to get lost in the noise:
> Understanding != Agreement.
JS: agreed. as to consensus, acceptance seems the main
point (can i accept having deep-crypto here for a couple
of months? yes, it does no harm to me and i see no harm
to noisebridge. not only do i not object, i support it,
as it enhances activity that might teach me or someone
else something interesting.)

> When a new member joins a group, and that group makes decisions _as_ a
> group, you can expect their preferences and background to come with
> them. You _may_ be able to convince them; but there is no guarantee
> that you will.
JS: agreed. i believe that anyone joining should be willing
to accept the status quo and approach differences as a matter
of lobbying for changes.

> Unless you're suggesting a 'consensus litmus test' to ensure they have
> correct politik before you will consent to them joining. It would be
> interesting to see _that_ discussion.
JS: of course not. new members should understand what the group
is about, its policies, prior decisions, general etiquette....
some one who wildly disagrees with a lot of stuff probably should
not join, at least not with the intention of making lots of
radical changes. of course, maybe they've got good ideas, but
it'd take a lot of work to turn this boat (which is pretty small
as groups of people go).