[Noisebridge-discuss] CNC Shop Class

Michael Wright mike at smallip.com
Fri Oct 9 22:34:52 UTC 2009

The Mill is operational in a safety 5th sort of way.  This means it
will in fact cut patterns from g-code, at the moment it will only do
that with the spindle running at full speed any time it's plugged in,
though I'm planning to fix that first.

I consider it safety 5th because it doesn't have travel limits like
the manufacturer intended.  The manufacturer relied on software to
keep the travel in range, we're not using their software and haven't
sorted out how to make EMC2 do that (or a hardware solution).  In
short we need to be watching it all the time, and only run things near
the middle of it's ranges (so we have time to turn it off).

If it appears to be getting out of hand, please is turn it's power
switch off (the one on the side of the control box).  Note however
that after doing this you'll probably need to restart the software
because it will be out of sync with the controller (it gets out of
sync).

If it only looks like it might be getting out of hand, the F1 key
should toggle Emergency Stop in the software (which at present won't
stop the spindle).

In terms of learning CNC, EMC2 has a really really nice simulator
(well, actually it's a 3D representations of what it thinks the
machine it's controlling is doing).  It runs reasonably well on VM-
Ware (even on my little MSI Netbook).  If anyone wants a copy of the
VM I use it's about 6.4 GB (alternatively you can just download
the .ISO and make your own.  It seems to run much better installed on
the VM hard disk with 2 virtual cores than it did running diskless
(from the .ISO file).  Currently it has 700 MB available and is using
360.

Effectively this means anyone can sort out their G-Code file before
ever touching the mill (or while someone else is running a different
job on the mill).

I'm defining "getting that g****d mill to work" as getting it to where
EMC2 accepts G-Code.  I think Jon has done some work on setting up a
tool-chain and put links on the wiki.  It would be wonderful if
someone sorted out a tool-chain and possibly set it up to run on
something other than the Mill controller at NB.

mike