[Noisebridge-discuss] What do you want to learn?

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 00:44:41 UTC 2009

This is an interesting perspective and a bit of a turnaround from the way
we've been traditionally doing it.  Although, I must confess, with German,
it was a bit more a desire preceding finding the teacher, although
Charlotte's been a friend of mine for some time and she's excited about
teaching to anyone who wants to learn.

The trouble with naming a class and looking for an instructor is the
instructor isn't as motivated as he would be if it was his idea in the first
place to offer the class.  Most persistent classes have formed around the
idea of a lot of talk on a subject surrounded by someone really excited and
motivated to lead.  Other classes have been tried, but they just sort of
peter out due to lack of enthusiasm.

Take emacs for example.  Sure, there are a ton of us who know it (although I
confess to being a vi person myself) but that's maybe the sort of thing most
think can be best picked up from a book, and you can just ask anyone if you
have any specific questions.  It's definitely not easy to "teach" and it's
as difficult to think about as a native speaker trying to teach you their
language.

Christie
---
Pigs can fly given sufficient thrust.