[Noisebridge-discuss] CNC Shop Class

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Sun Oct 11 03:03:31 UTC 2009

Jonathan Foote writes:

> * It would be great if we could run the EMC2/AXIS code in simulation
> mode, so you wouldn't need a VM to run it. Right now it checks for the
> rtai kernel and craps out if it can't find it. Any gurus want to
> tackle that? It may mean recompiling, but hopefully it's just a config
> option someplace I couldn't find. This will let anyone tune up their
> gcode  and dry run sessions without tying up the machine.

I got the source code for EMC2 2.3.3 and built it on my Ubuntu Jaunty
system with

./configure --enable-simulator --enable-run-in-place --with-tclConfig=/usr/lib/tcl8.5/tclConfig.sh --with-tkConfig=/usr/lib/tk8.5/tkConfig.sh

after installing all the indicated build-dependencies (plus tcl8.5-dev
and tk8.5-dev).  The resulting binary will run and give me a UI on my
system, which doesn't have a realtime kernel.  But I don't know how to
use EMC2 at all, so I don't know what else I'd need to do to see if
the simulator's working appropriately.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Qué empresa fácil no pensar en
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | un tigre, reflexioné.