[Noisebridge-discuss] New Hackerspace in N. Orlando, Florida

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 15 20:09:58 UTC 2009

Every space is different.  Not all of them are ideal for all people.  But the group that starts each space makes it a cool place for them.  And it attracts more people who think it's cool.  Many cities have more than one hackerspace, since each group starts one with a different type of crowd, with different desires -- there's more than enough geeks to support more than one space in big cities (or even smaller ones).

Those of us who co-founded Noisebridge wanted to make it as open as possible.  And I'm really happy to be part of a group like Noisebridge.  :)

I've been to lots of hackerspaces all around the US and the rest of the world.  The one that seems the closest to the openness of Noisebridge is Das Labor, in Bochum, a town in Germany not far from Cologne (who are also my total heros for their Der Blinken Lights projects!), but there are others, too, that are way open to varying degrees, such as Metalab, in Vienna.

When you travel, contact hackerspace folks in cities and towns you'll be in.  As with Noisebridge, most hackerspaces are way open to visitors.  Even if the space is not one that you think is the best for you, you'll meet lots of really cool people who are working on way cool projects.  And there's a ready "in" for finding out what's cool in the place you're visiting.  And, maybe you'll even make new friends.

Mitch.