[Noisebridge-discuss] cleaning up

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 21:07:31 UTC 2009

I saw this trend starting while we were still at 83c.  People didn't care
that much and were able to blame the piles of junk on being "too crowded".
There were 2 huge genius bar tables that were absolutely loaded with junk
all the time.  It was piled up in other places too, but it was dismissed
pretty easily.  Now, it's becoming more clear that it wasn't just a crowding
issue, but a behavior and attitude issue.  I can't say as I'm surprised.

We can't neglect the need for individual responsibility to put our shit
away.  Although I tend to be opposed to corporate-style clean-up campaign
posters and so forth on aesthetic basis, I think we need to find a way to
make people aware that there's something that needs to change.  Al's idea of
public shaming could work, especially if the heavy users would get on board
with helping identify people.  (Assuming they're not the source of the
problem, which I doubt.)

More than that, there's also an example thing that needs to be set.  If
people who are in the space a lot are careful to put stuff away, then people
will be aware that stuff needs to be put away.  Every one of us needs to not
only be careful about it, but be VISIBLE about putting your stuff away.  Let
people know it's the correct (and cool!) thing to do.  ("Only nerds leave
their shit laying around.")

On the flip side, we were paying Gina a considerable amount of money to
clean 83c.  I see no reason we should not at least have that budget to clean
2169.  I don't think this person should be hired to clean up people's
uneaten burritos or junk left out, though.  Even with their genetic testing
kits in their shop vacs, they won't be able to guess what that funky gizmo
on the table that you just invented is or should go.  They should focus on
first and foremost cleaning the floors and bathrooms like any
office/industrial cleaning people would.  These are shared things that
aren't attributable to a single person's (or a group of people's) mess.

Christie
---
Pigs can fly given sufficient thrust.
    - RFC 1925