[Noisebridge-discuss] OMG Problems!

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Sun Oct 18 19:01:07 UTC 2009

* Shannon Lee <shannon at scatter.com> [091018 11:15]:
> * Finding a new cleaning person/service (make sure they specialize in
> picking up beer bottles and half-eaten burritios, please!)

While it would be good that a cleaning person not be adverse to
picking up bottles & half-eaten burritos, I feel strongly that members
should not leave these items around, and that we as a group should try
to find constructive ways to help each other not be so sloppy (and
gross, especially the burrito stumps!) Also, if the cleaning person
comes once or twice a week, food laying around in that interim will
feed the rats & roaches. We don't need to wait for the problem of
random abandoned food-trash + rats & roaches to happen before we solve
it -- this is already happening. Let's engage our creativity to adjust
our system (in a friendly way) such that these problems are mitigated.

> * Building and/or buying shelves for the Library (Jim and/or Lamont
> seem to be taking the lead on this)

I spoke with Jim about this yesterday, there are some long lengths
of 1"x8" pine against the West window. I've been thinking over
Jim's suggestions, have more ideas about this shelving & am happy
to participate in this endeavor. Anyone who's interested in how the
Library space is shaping up should chime in. Keep in mind this will
likely be the prime "sit down with your laptop & hack away on your
project" space (ie, much used by many). If anyone wants to chat about
this, I'll be at 2169 for the 2-6pm clothing swap today.

> * Clearing out the middle classroom, so that it can be used as a
> classroom (Probably dependent on getting shelves)

I believe this room is actually completely cleared out.

> * Unpopular people need to be hounded from the group and stoned to
> death in the woods and/or fed to wolves

Or maybe we *all* need to go out in the woods and gain some wisdom from
observing wolf society...

> * Storage & organization solutions need to be built in the shop
> (John Magolske has the plan)

Michael Kan and I have been discussing making a shop work bench,
something super-stable, but also super-simple & inexpensive. The plan
is to build this sometime next week. It'll be a good first step, as
then other parts of the shop (work-surfaces, cabinets, etc) can be
built using that workbench. The red table currently in place is nice,
but wiggles when lateral forces are applied. Stability is key for a
workbench, otherwise energy directed into a workpiece gets lost in an
elastic system. Soon the red table will be available for other uses
in our fine space.

John

--
John Magolske