[Noisebridge-discuss] Gender & Technology followups from 5Mof

dpc weasel at meer.net
Thu Oct 22 00:04:08 UTC 2009

Al Billings <albill at openbuddha.com> writes:

> On 10/21/09 4:07 PM, Sai Emrys wrote:

>>> These are abominations on the language.
>>>
>> So says my boyfriend. I actually use 'em though.
>>
>> And I did leave the they, their, them option.
>
> Just use the modern "they" are a potential gender-neutral singular.

it isn't all that modern. it was the way it was done for a while

  http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/005423.html

maybe not 'definitive' but at least entertaining.

\p
---
Children who know how to think for themselves spoil the harmony of the
collective society which is coming where everyone is interdependent.
		- John Dewey