[Noisebridge-discuss] Hosting a sexuality unconference at Noisebridge? KinkForAll San Francisco wants to make some Noise. :)

maymay bitetheappleback at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 21:03:43 UTC 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:

> maymay wrote:
>> So what do you guys say? Would Noisebridge be interested in providing
>> a venue for a KinkForAll unconference? If so, what is the next step
>> make it a reality, and how do I take it?
>>

> This sounds awesome! I very much support Noisebridge hosting such an
> event. I think probably the best thing is to find other supporting
> members who are willing to bottom line the event (no pun intended).
>
> Best,
> Jake

I'm glad you think so, Jake. :) (I do too!!)

For past events, we've managed to raise over $1,000 when venue costs
required it. We make a real effort to keep finances 100% transparent,
as well.[0][1][2]

If I need to raise some funds to underwrite costs for Noisebridge as
well, I will make an effort to do that. I'd just like to know the
details of who to speak with, what amount to raise, and so forth
before I start putting time into it. (I.e., I want to follow YAGNI.)[3]

Ordinarily, we prefer not to spend money and instead crowd source all
necessary and discretionary equipment. Doing it that way not only
keeps overhead low, but also supports and encourages the
unconference's participatory environment.

Cheers,
-maymay
Blog: http://maybemaimed.com
Talk show: http://KinkOnTap.com
Community: http://KinkForAll.org
Volunteering: http://ConversioVirium.org/author/maymay

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:

[0] KinkForAll New York City finances:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p-vqp1M6ulqdSXO0CVALRKg&output=html
[1] KinkForAll New York City 2 finances:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tILyTUa_Xav2tDXplATQyTg&output=html
[2] KinkForAll Washington DC finances:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tJOK0jm5gbcSUWXkH2ziV7A&output=html
[3] http://kinkforall.pbworks.com/UnorganizingIntroduction#AvoidingUnnecessaryEffortYouArentGonnaNeedIt