[Noisebridge-discuss] 2169 door

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Mon Oct 26 09:14:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:

> Hi there. Leif, Jof and I tweaked around with this a bit more tonight.
> Due to the netboot state of things my neato php page broke and would no
> longer connect to the door server.
>
> That's all been fixed. Simply run the command "opengate" on pony, or go
> to http://pony.noise/gate on the local network to open the gate.
>
> We've also implemented a jingle to play through both touch panels when
> someone initiates a gate opening through the network.

I must reiterate my concern from earlier: this opens up 2169 to a new DoS
(Denial of Silence) attack.  I also heard rumblings of allowing anyone's
speakers to be used to play said jingle, which opens us up to a DDoS
(Distributed Denial of Silence) attack.  We may want to implement something
like Nagle's algorithm to minimize the number of jingles which are played
for a single user-at-gate event, as well as an exponential backoff in time
in which the gate open command is allowed to be utilized.

(Seriously, though: great hack, guys.  I need to get an extra boarduino and
hook up my morse decoder:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1231030684 and then we can
get in keylessly, without a human at all.)
--
Josh Myer 650.248.3796
josh at joshisanerd.com