[Noisebridge-discuss] 2169 door

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Mon Oct 26 21:16:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Dr. Jesus's message of Mon Oct 26 13:46:23 -0700 2009:
>> Energizing the door solenoid with a high duty cycle makes it smell like fire.
>
> Yeah... sometimes it seems to buzz for quite a while. Though the times
> I've been down there, it hasn't smelled as far as I could tell.
>
> Does smelling like fire mean something is burning? Should we be working
> towards building in some protection into how long the "open door" button
> is triggered?

More specifically, when the control pod downstairs energizes the
electric strike for more than, say, two minutes continuously, I can
perceive a smell like melting vinyl coming from the welded enclosure
where the strike solenoid is housed.

Yes, I think that there needs to be additional protection to prevent
this from happening.  When I was looking at electric strikes for other
things in the space, I noted that most of them had duty cycle limits
(probably because they were being engineered for cost and continuous
operation wasn't a design requirement.)