[Noisebridge-discuss] Dijkstra's "There is still a war going on"

Gian Pablo Villamil gian.pablo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 01:52:09 UTC 2009

It goes beyond division of labor: the technicians are mostly concerned
with making stuff happen with THINGS, whereas business & marketing are
mostly concerned with making PEOPLE do stuff. This is what Djikstra
refers to as the "battle".

Ultimately it is people who decide who to reward, not things. Hence,
someone who spends all their time influencing people is likely to be
better rewarded than someone who spends all their time influencing
things. Those who use their influence over things to try to influence
people tend to get treated rather roughly.

Fortunately, there are organizations that reward technical skill, and
in the medium/long term, this lets them do stuff better. Some places
have figured this out, some have not.

It seems to me that portraying this as a battle between scientists and
managers is misleading: the scientists aren't even on the same playing
field. Developing organizational combat skills (euphemistically known
as "people skills") in scientists might be a better approach.