[Noisebridge-discuss] smoking at noisebridge (was Re: Be Excellent to one another)

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed Oct 28 19:33:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:52:30AM -0700, erik swedberg wrote:
> i wasn't at the meeting.
>
> was it a consensus that there is a moratorium on smoking tobacco on
> the fire escape?

We didn't have "Consensus" in the official sense of our process -- that
requires a week of discussion time first, which we didn't have on this
issue.

The general feeling I got from the discussion was that smoking on the
fire escape poses challenges and everyone present was happy to say "no
smoking on the fire escape".

I think that kinda sucks, because I'm addicted to caffeine and have some
idea how bad nicotine addiction must be when un-sated.  (Personally I
can't fathom the idea of intentionally inhaling oxidized particulate
matter, but to each his own [substance and matter of ingestion].)

There weren't any smokers at the meeting willing to stand up to the
crowd and say "dudes, you're harshing my high".  I wouldn't have had the
courage if I were in that position; the mob sentiment was running pretty
high.  (And there may not have been any smokers present at all, the
meeting was sparsely attended.)

I think we should try to find a reasonable resolution to the matter.
It's a shame we don't have a eastern balcony; it would be less visible
from the street and the prevailing breeze would pull smoke away from
rather than into Noisebridge.  As it stands, the only idea I can offer
smokers is to go down to the sidewalk, which is hardly my idea of a good
time.

Personally I would have no problem designating the "DJ booth" as the
smoker's ghetto, once stairs are installed (omglulz), the electronics
are removed, some sort of ventilation is installed, and any complaints
about smoke leaking out are addressed.  If smokers want to step up and
do that, I'll help... but I'm not going to lead.

-andy