[Noisebridge-discuss] do you guys want a uservoice account?

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Thu Oct 29 20:39:45 UTC 2009

John Menerick wrote, On 20091029 053929:
> According to Uservoice's TOS, you give over all your rights and license
> UserVoice to do with as they wish and desire.
>
> Think Facebook but one step scarier in terms of privacy and content
> ownership.
>
> "..You give the party who owns the Hosted Area in which you post your
> Content (the "Account Holder") a non-exclusive, free, worldwide license
> for the duration of the applicable author's rights, to publish your
> Content. In addition to the right to publish, you also grant the Account
> Holder under said license the following rights, without limitation: (i)
> the right to reproduce; (ii) the right to transfer, which includes the
> distribution via computer and networks; (iii) the right to edit, modify,
> adapt, arrange, improve, correct, translate, in all or in part; (iv) the
> right to update/upgrade by adding or removing; and (v) the right to
> film, perform or post the Content in any media. Except as described in
> our Privacy Policy, neither the Company nor any Account Holder will be
> required to treat any Content as confidential.
> In order to operate and improve the Service, the Company needs the right
> to make certain uses of your Content as well. Therefore, when you post
> Content in any Hosted Area, you also agree to grant the Company an
> irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, fully sublicenseable,
> non-exclusive license to copy, distribute, sell, publicly display,
> publicly perform and make derivative works of your Content on the
> Service and on services affiliated with the Service regardless of the
> form of media used or of whether such services now exist or are
> developed in the future......"

Thanks John.

Ian: I really don't appreciate the usage of services under the
Noisebridge banner that are constrained such as how this TOS is written
out. Many of our members are in support of being very transparent with
our ideas and data, such as why there's a strong support for open source
software and the usage of the Creative Commons.

Noisebridge doesn't require a fee from members or guests to access its
facilities or use any of it's online available resources.

With what information has derived from this thread, Uservoice is a
closed source service that owns any content you feed it. If at a later
time Uservoice decides that it would no longer like to honor its free
service to non-profits, any data we've thrown into it would no longer be
accessible to our members and guests. Same would go for if Uservoice
decided to discontinue its service to a hacker space due to content it
found questionable, such as this one...

http://noisebridge.uservoice.com/pages/32406-general/suggestions/369046-find-security-vulnerabilities-in-uservoice-com?ref=title

Lastly Noisebridge is consensus based, we don't take votes to figure out
things. When someone is against something we stop, rethink and discuss.
If someone is against the idea then dialog needs to happen. Uservoice
isn't setup for this at all.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, nor am I stating you shouldn't provide
Noisebridge with services from a company you work for. But I feel my
opinion should go heard, and that it is inline with how a number of
other members feel about this general topic.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net