[Noisebridge-discuss] Blade Runner: Noisebridge Halloween Cyberpunk SFZero Thing, Saturday Oct 31 19:00

Jeffrey Malone ieatlint at tehinterweb.com
Fri Oct 30 19:32:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Christie Dudley <longobord at gmail.com> wrote:
> Isn't this the event that's been raised at at least half a dozen meetings?
> I thought we all agreed it'd be cool.

Kinda?

Sept 22 Meeting was the first mention of it, the meeting notes state:
rubin: SF0 Journey to the end of the night - Game run by 3 guys on Oak
st, since '05. Open ended, open source, CC. Free. City-wide game of
tag. Last one was in Vienna. Really*4 fun. Next one on Halloween, SE
part of SF towards Mission / Castro. Looking for end location for
party. DC one drew 600 people in beginning, 250 at end. Should we be
the party endspot? note: lots of very tired people show up w/
trophies, talk, go away and sleep note: opportunity to get interesting
people in the space and expose ourselves (sic) note: what's our legal
maximum occupancy? ~100-200. Need to call fire marshal...
hypothetically. note: it's Halloween. randoms might show up. OTOH, can
block people w/out orange armband and/or recognized as NB
members/friends. note: nice cacophanous stuff via dorkbot. good to
support that. that's why NB exists in the first place - that and
drugs. (sic)
 -- As I recall, there was no specific decision either way.  Was a lot
of concern about hosting parties at the space, and the stupid shit
that could happen with random people on Halloween.

Sept 29 has no mention of it in the agenda or notes.

Oct 6 has it in the agenda, but no mention of it in the notes

Oct 13 has it in the agenda, meeting notes simply state "sf0 journey
to the end of night, nobody here to rep"

Oct 20 has it in the agenda, and this in the notes:
Rubin talked about Journey to the End of the Night.  2169 is the
endpoint.  Concern raised about lots of drunk people showing up, but
based on past experience it will be a few tired, thirsty people drinking
water.  the meeting notes have a link to More Information.

Oct 27 once again has it in the agenda, but no notes I can find.

So yeah, I was only at half of these meetings.  However, the concerns
seem to be consistent, and the meeting notes lacked anything on steps
to be taken to allay the concerns that were repeatedly expressed.
Thus, my question seemed valid.

> I thought I was pretty clear with all that in past meetings. Repeating the nitty gritty details of each of your questions/concerns during every meeting would have added extra time to the asked "no more then one sentence about your event" rule.

I didn't feel such, and wanted clarification.  As for the time
restriction to "one sentence", addressing concerns is an entirely
different thing from describing the event itself in excess detail.  It
was meant to prevent people from spending 5min advertising their
events, not prevent discussion of the event and how it may affect
others.

As I said, I'm not trying to be an ass at all, I honestly just wanted
clarification.  Call it me being overly cautious.  I think having this
at Noisebridge will be great.. and based on Rubin's reply, my concerns
are entirely covered.  Just wanted to hear what the plan was is all...

Jeffrey