[Noisebridge-discuss] I am really disappointed with certain members of noisebridge

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Fri Oct 30 22:37:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Ian <ian at slumbrparty.com> wrote:
> it seems that i have upset a lot of people with the use of the term
> DDOS. for that i apologize. i saw two IPs, so i said "distributed".
>
> if you will notice, uservoice was never actually offline during this
> and those anonymous votes did not actually get counted. before we
> blocked those IPs, i had no way of knowing if that anonymous voting
> was going to continue from other IPs or what. the problem is that it
> happened on the noisebridge forum from noisebridge IPs with no email
> coming it later saying "oh sorry, we were playing around, didnt mean
> to flood you guys".
>
> honestly, i think people at uservoice were just pissed because we
> tried to help noisebridge out and got slapped in the face with abuse
> on the site. they feel much better now that they know people were just
> messing around. while we have some fraud detection and abuse
> prevention in place, our service is not perfect.

I've observed that suggesting the use of any non-Free software to
anyone involved with Noisebridge is a bad idea in general because
there are too many irreconcilable opinions here surrounding software
politics and it's impossible to know beforehand whether the person you
are talking to will react angrily to your suggestion or not.

Non-Free hardware and firmware doesn't seem to cause this problem,
though.  For example, I don't think anyone is going to (non-jokingly)
argue that we should only buy services from ISPs that only use 100%
free hardware, software, and ops procedures, or that we should stop
using electricity until we can eliminate any signals generated from
non-Free BPL transceivers on the line.