[Noisebridge-discuss] Pirate Cat Radio transmitter in need of new home

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 21:32:37 UTC 2009

Greetings, potential pirates:

If you ever have the urge to turn a knob on a radio dial these days, you can
usually find 87.9 on the FM dial.

Presently, due to technical difficulties of a high school drama-esque sort,
Teh System Is Down.  (well, not the internet stream. it still lives.  You
can find the link to the stream on the website:  http://piratecatradio.com )

Thus, a Call: Would anyone be willing to host a 1200 Watt transmitter at
their home?  Preferably at a place with high elevation near or in the
Mission, (with the exception of Bernal Heights and other such radio black
holes).  We're not tremendously picky though.

Conditions: We give you $100 a month for a high speed DSL connection, which
you can make use of yourself as long as it doesn't interfere with the stream
uplink from the studio.  You host the transmitter somewhere on your
property, which will be hidden by pirate radio experts with 15 years of
experience in not getting hassled by the FCC.

I would never suggest that NoiseBridge play official host to the Pirate Cat
Radio transmitter, particularly not in the wake of such recent 501-3c
assignment.

But for an individual, this is a surprisingly safe arrangement and nobody's
been hassled or busted yet!  Many members of the board of Supervisors have
been to our studio (especially on the League of Pissed-Off Voters show,
6-8pm Fridays) and we have had Gavin Newsome admitting on video that he
loves the idea of a pirate TV channel in San Francisco.

We also have this "possibly legally defensible" position to make use of -
scroll down to "Why Pirates Are Currently Legal":
http://www.piratecatradio.com/about.php

Anyway, email me or call me to discuss.

Cheers,
Naomi

PostScript:  Tangentially, anyone out there familiar with icecast and
potential problems thereof?  There's a Pirate Cat meeting this Sunday and
I'm about to present a huge list of DDoS attacks possible on the current PCR
setup and what to do about them.
*
On a similar note, if anyone wants to play with icecast streams and
scripting around them for 24/7 radio programming purposes, email me or talk
to me at Noisebridge, I'd love some collaborators.
*

---
Naomi Most
Producer