[Noisebridge-discuss] Yet another programming course.

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 06:41:38 UTC 2009

  After teaching a few programming classes at Noisebridge, I've
  realized there's a need for an "intro to programming course".
  My loose ideas are here:

    http://github.com/jsnx/learn2program/blob/8d85856379077f01e107c7063b1c3be688ae6d91/README

  The course introduces a few basic tools -- the shell, the
  editor and version control -- and then touches on console
  programming. We allow the student to develop their first
  interactive program quickly.

  The interactive program extends into a simple algebraic
  expression evaluator, for expressions like:

    21 + 3

  We go on to extend this language with variable bindings. The
  students learn to program by building out a simple programming
  language.

  What do folks think about a class like that? When I've talked
  to people in person, the response has been entirely positive;
  I'd like to get other listmembers' views.

--
Jason Dusek