[Noisebridge-discuss] Equilibrium- Love: A scientific approach - Langton Labs, 24th September 7-11pm : You should come!

Jean Rintoul jean.rintoul at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 18:09:14 UTC 2009

Langton Labs is holding a monthly set of science/arts related lectures
kicking off with one themed Love. You should come!

Next thursday the 24th September!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/event.php?eid=159375360930&ref=mf

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15085246498

EQUILIBRIUM is a new event from the folks at Langton Labs and Down to a
Science. Every month, we'll craft a unique experience of science, art, and
music all around a singular theme. Kicking off the series will be "LOVE"

When you arrive, mingle with liked-minded nerds, view an exhibit of the "I
Love You Because..." photo project and create your own portrait with the
artist. Take a seat with an old friend or friendly stranger in Empath - a
biofeedback based visualization of how honest your communications really
are. Visit the bar, stocked with special aphrodisiac cocktails, At 8, we'll
dive into the talks: hear about neurophysiology of love, the complex
relationship issues of chimpanzees, and what it takes to keep love alive in
a relationship. A lighting round of audience Q&A follows each short talk.
Trade your thinking caps for some easy listening - at 9:30 Steve Taylor
takes the stage with a special acoustic set of his inspired tracks. Finally,
break out your dancing shoes and pop-lock-grind it out as producer/dj
Shipwrek drops delectable beats from his masterfully crafted debut album,
Journal.

Our suggested donation is $8 online at
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/81462 or $10 at the door.

There will be a licensed cash bar provided by Missing Piece Mobile.
Chocolate Truffles will be available for purchase thanks to Edible Love
Chocolates (http://www.ediblelove.com)

TALKS

The Neurophysiology of Love with Dr. Kiki Sanford
New love can look for all the world like mental illness, a blend of mania,
dementia and obsession that cuts people off from friends and family and
prompts out-of-character behavior - compulsive phone calling, serenades,
yelling from rooftops - that could almost be mistaken for psychosis. Kirsten
will discuss the recent brain imaging research that explains some of our
compulsive behavior when we are bitten by the love bug.

Dr. Kiki is a PhD scientist (Neurophysiology) who somehow escaped from the
lab and is now making my way in independent Science media and journalism.
http://www.kirstensanford.com/

Love Will Keep Us Together? with Jerry Candelaria
Almost every love story begins like a fairy tale. Relationship beginnings
are always incredible and they can often experience a renaissance following
wedding, honeymoon, or even a special anniversary. Couples often find that
the love and romance becomes more of a challenge to keep alive when their
lives evolve with jobs, children, and other life commitments. Sometimes love
and romance can get lost in the shuffle of life. So can Captain and Tenille
be right? Is Love good enough to keep you together?

Jerry has an extensive background in coaching individuals & couples in the
areas of intimacy, communication, life purpose and producing powerful life
changing results. He is a bit of a ham as well. http://www.jccoaching.com/

Jungle Love with Jody Gillerman
As the saying goes, we evolved from the apes, but did we inherit the same
relationship issues? Jody talks about her experiences observing the complex
interrelationships between chimpanzees at the St. Louis Zoo. She developed
the "Chimp Finder", a LIAISON system (Live Interactive Animal Identification
System and Observation Network) which provides the Zoo visitor a connection
to the animals never previously experienced. "Chimp Finder" provides access
to the animals, their individual and group habits as well as the activity of
their daily lives.

Professor JoAnn (Jody) Gillerman is an innovative media artist,
videographer, and educator exploring the integration of art, science,
culture and technology.

She is currently a Professor of fine arts at California College of the Arts
and founded a media arts company Viper Vertex (http://www.vipervertex.com)

ART (Participation is encouraged)

I Love You Because... by Alexander Warnow
If you could complete the phrase “I love you because . . .” how would you do
it? Why do you love who you do? How would you illustrate that actually
spelling out the words “I love you because . . . (insert your reason here)”
in the photo? I realize that it is sometimes hard to articulate why we love
who we do. Therein lies the challenge (and the reward) of this project.

You'll be able to make your own ILYB photo on the spot with the artist
Alexander Warnow: http://www.ilyb.org/

Empath by Jean Rintoul
Imagine if you knew how the person you were talking to was really
feeling, and vice versa? Are your jokes really funny? Empath uses
Galvanic Skin Response to measure your emotional response, and then
plays it back to you in sound and light. You can hear and see your
emotional response. Both participants can be aware of how the other
person is feeling, and how they are affecting them. Empathy and
honesty in communication. Is this love?

Jean is fascinated by new modes of communication and interaction which
are unrecognised in everyday life, especially biofeedback. What do
your feelings sound like?

MUSIC

Shipwrek
Supremely talented composer and producer Shipwrek recently dropped
'Journal' a breathtaking debut; operatic and danceable, it was crafted
with both electronic mastery and heaping dose of love that comes
through with every listen. Get your damn dancing feet ready and follow
his beat. In the meantime, scope the album http://www.shipwrek.com/

"Most nights, when life allows, I music journal. I just hit record and
pour out the day in the most honest way I know. These entries go onto
a hard drive, and stay there: a chronological, date stamped account of
where I have been and what it was like to be there. This album is a
compilation of these journal pages, a full year of my life into your
hands. From more than a hundred journal entries between Spring 2008
and Spring 2009, I've refined thirty that most honestly tell this year
as it has been. Thirteen of these are compiled in this album. "

Steve Taylor of the Steve Taylor Band
Playing with a passion and honesty that's lost on most contemporary artists,
Steve merges the heart-on-your-sleeve confessional style of Joni Mitchell,
the northern soul of Van Morrison, and the pop hooks of T-Rex, and filters
them through a progrock lense, creating a soundscape that's both modern and
unironically influenced by 70's AM rock:
http://www.myspace.com/stevetaylorband

FOOD & DRINK

Edible Love Chocolates
Indulge in a truly decadent chocolate experience with Edible Love's
chocolate truffles, made from delicious organic fair-trade chocolate and a
variety of organic ingredients that will leave you asking for more!