[Noisebridge-discuss] (no subject)

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 16 08:08:49 UTC 2009

Below is a description from Brian, a fellow geek in need of some help to get his new invention together:  boots that allow you to walk on water.  If you have any interest, please contact him at the email address he gives, below.

Brian is very modest.  He is a brilliant geek.  He is also the one who is single-handedly responsible for putting the proposition on the San Francicso ballot for renaming the sewage treatment plant after George W. Bush.  (He wanted it to be Proposition H, but "H" was taken.)

Mitch.

--------------

Hello.

I am looking for some collaborators on a fun and potentially
interesting art/engineering project. I've built a pair of what I call
Sea Boots, which are contraptions that enable you to walk on water.
I've been fine tuning the design, and am ready to proceed with more
ambitious tests. My goal, if I can train myself to walk on them
without falling or looking like a klutz, is to take them out on the
open water during Fleet Week. I don't know if I can get to that
point, but I think I have the design worked out to a point where it
will work now or with minor adjustments to enhance stability.

The design is akin to the keel of a boat, although it's a simple
shape since my carpentry skills are limited, and works rather like a
pendulum to make it stable and self-righting. I am looking for some
people with time on their hands to assist me during testing.
Specifically I am looking for: a wetsuit (I am 6', 160lbs), about
60-80 pounds of lead weights (scuba weight bags) or scrap steel,
someone with a van or pickup truck, and when we get to open water
testing, a small boat. Beer, etc and fun people also a bonus. Lastly,
someone with tailoring skills is a plus, as I am looking to create a
ship's captain persona for the actual demo. I've already built the
devices, and have done pool tests, now I need to adjust the ballast,
and focus on learning to balance on them (it's similar to skis in a
way).

If it all works (or doesn't), I'll be publishing the plans so others
with greater artistic talents can take the basic concept and improve
on it for artistic or practical purposes. From a practical
standpoint, walking on water is a useful thing (imagine the potential
uses at ports for example). Of course, this may go down in the annals
of failed but whimsical San Francisco stunts, but it will be fun
either way and I am itching to get out and see if I can master these
(and show others how it works). I can be reached at
bsmcconnell at gmail.com

Some other projects I have worked on recently...
www.worldwidelexicon.org (try our new Firefox translator, it makes
browsing foreign language sites super easy), and
presidentialmemorial.wordpress.com (sadly, this ballot measure went
down in flames, but it was a noble effort).

Thanks,

Brian McConnell