[Noisebridge-discuss] Analysing and Interpreting Quantitative Eye-Tracking Data in Studies of Programming: Phases of Debugging with Multiple Representations

Praveen Sinha dmhomee at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 08:31:48 UTC 2009

I heard a story once about a math teacher that always taught their students
using hand-eye models instead of just visualization.  For example, when
teaching simple derivatives, they would use their hand to grab the exponent
and drag it down to the multiplier positions, and ask their students to go
through the same motions.  The reasoning (however apocryphal it may or may
not be) was that the hands and fingers had a lot of circuitry built in for
the detailed oriented repeated skills like programming / knitting / making
food / solving equations / solving video games.  Come to think of it, maybe
I'll try a kinesthetic approach to teaching in whatever my next workshop
is...  At any rate, maybe you are both right! :)

On an unrelated note, another toy I would love to have at noisebridge is a
eye tracking rig.....