[Noisebridge-discuss] paying for Club Mate, and other drinks

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 20:57:15 UTC 2009

This may not be the most hackerly topic, but I'm interested in running
beverage sales numbers analysis to find out how price points affect the
bottom line in an honor-based system.

There's kind of a black magic to price points, wherein (for example) the
same item priced at $2.00 and at $2.25 in the same franchise of shops will
overall sell roughly 30% better in the shop where it's priced at $2.25.

I'm going to guess that an analysis of honor-based environments in
comparison to traditional sales environments will show, "it's different."

--Naomi

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Mitch Altman <maltman23 at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi Folks,
>

> At the end of July me and a few other Noisebridge members paid for 800
> bottles of Club Mate for Noisebridge -- as a fund raiser.
>

> It seems that the Club Mate are very popular!  Only 200-some of them are
> left.
>

> Thing is, though, we haven't even collected half the money we (me and the
> other NB members) spent for the 800 bottles of Club Mate.  And there's only
> 200-some of them left.  Doing just a little bit of math:  if everyone pays
> the required $4 for the remaining 200-some bottles that they drink, then we
> still won't nearly enough to pay me and the other NB members back for the
> expense we laid out.
>

> Please:  if you drink any Mate, then pay at least $4 for it.  We (me and
> some other NB members) paid $3.31 per bottle for this stuff (mostly
> shipping).  It would be nice to get at least a majority of this back so we
> don't lose so much.
>

> Up until this, we've about tripled our money for other beverages at
> Noisebridge.  I was hoping that Noisebridge would make aobut 70ยข per bottle
> on the Club Mate.  I guess we failed at that.
>

> Mitch.

---
Naomi Most
Producer