[Noisebridge-discuss] Hacker Dojo / NB reciprocal membership WAS: Hacker Dojo up and running, and in the mainstream news

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 12:35:41 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 2:18 AM, John Magolske <listmail at b79.net> wrote:

> * Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> [090912 01:52]:
> >Jonathan Lassoff wrote, On 2009/09/12 00:43:
> >> Excerpts from Mitch Altman's message of Sat Sep 12 00:32:40 -0700 2009:
> >>
> >> Very. That makes me want to make something.

Yes.

Relatedly, I've been thinking about revisiting my years spent developing
around Asterisk and instating a hackerspace-spanning telco over VOIP.

I don't know what real value that would have, other than "it would be cool",
and providing basic telco services to traveling hackers without phones (who
are whom, exactly?).  Anybody want to put a VOIP box on a payphone and have
it be accessible by Skype?  :)

I just think it's fun to hack VOIP, especially secure channels (I worked on
the first 2 revisions of Zfone w/ PRZ).

Why this came up for me with respect to the hackspace passport concept:
 there's kind of a symbolic cameraderie involved in federating independent
communications systems.  Again... I just get a kick out of phones (it's what
got me into networking in the first place).

> > Sadly Lulu doesn't offer anything remotely close to the size of an
> > average passport.
>
> How about we make our own?
>
> A while back I got obsessed with making hand-made pocket booklets
> using a sewing machine & some wood clamps. Always wanted to make
> something passport-sized, but never got around to it. This would
> be a fun way to revisit that obsession.
>
> I'll try to remember to bring in some samples to the meeting Tues.
> Anyone up for some booklet-making sessions?

I love this idea.  Even more fun (in my world) would be coming up with a
passport that builds into itself simple instructions on how to make more of
them.

--Naomi